Wednesday, October 15, 2008

NDP for the Win- well at least in my riding


Election results are pretty much in. While the Conservatives have taken the minority and had an overall gain in seats they lost one seat in their Stronghold: Alberta. This loss happened to be in my riding. For the first time in my voting career I have helped elect someone to the federal government. As of right now, one poll left to report, Linda Duncan of the NDP has won a seat in Alberta.

My roommate and I sat around the TV tonight, watching the election results as intently as others would a sports game final or the 100m dash final at the Olympics. I'm pretty sure I would have made M. Poirier proud tonight with the amount of enthusiasm I watched this election with. I can't say that I have ever felt this excited before. Every other election I have voted in my candidates have lost by so much you could really only call my vote a protest vote. Politics are much more exciting when there is some uncertainty.I had to drink a sleepytime tea to calm myself down and I am still awake, albeit, calmer than before.

I'm off to bed because waiting for this last poll to come in is agonizing. I hope that when I wake up and check the results tomorrow I won't be disappointed and find that Linda Duncan winning was all a dream. I'm really hoping that I'll living in the solitary spot of orange in a sea of blue.


Update 00:28 MT- 223/223 Polls reporting: Linda Duncan 20,076 Rahim Jaffer 19,634. NDP wins by 442.

State: Excited!
Song:The Canadian Dream- Sam Roberts.

No comments: