Monday, November 17, 2003

Okay the resolution on this school computer is horrible, but I guess I will blog anyhow. Resolution does not impede typing it mere creates an eye-sore.

Okay- so I am highly confused. Highly. I'm starting to question what I want to do with my life. I don't know really... I hate this feeling. I hate not knowing... I need to make up my mind though or else I'll be wasting my time and money here at university. I know what I don't want to do. I guess that is a start. I've always known mostly want I don't want to do- it has never relaly been a problem for me. Picking between all of the things I am interested in and do want to do IS a big problem.

Okay- I still like science and I am enjoying my courses well enough- but I'm not sure I'm as passionate as I would think I should be about some of the stuff that I am studying. What I am getting at is that I am not sure I even really want to do a degree in genetics anymore. sigh... which was the whole big plan- but plans often don't work out the way you want them to. I like my genetics course and I think it is really cool- but I'm not sure I really care enough about it to do it in the detail my degree is going to require me to. I enjoy medelian genetics quite a bit and the molecular basis for in hereitance in human and stuff- all the really cool stuff. What I am not so hot on is a lot of the molecular stuff that we do... I don't think I'd really want to do research in it or anything like that. But that doesn't rule out genetic counselling which I still think I'd like a lot. The thing is- I have to get through all that stuff I don't like to have a degree so that I can even be eligible to apply for genetic counselling. There is a possibility that I won't even get accepted into one the three school that offer genetic counselling in Canada- which means I have to look elsewhere for school- like the states. And that is sure to burn a HUGE hole in my pocket. And then if I don't get into that I have start thinking of other career possibilities or be that person with two degrees that works at McDonald's.

Or I could drop the whole genetics degree thing- and just go for something entirely different - like psych or something. Which would probably make me insanely happy for awhile as all I would have to take in the next two years are tons of psych courses and tons of arts courses. But then I run into the same problem of not knowing what to do with the psych degree... I don't want to be a counsellor. ( Unless it involves genetics... haha) I was thinking psych research could be cool- I'll be in school for the next little while though - you know master's degree, then PhD, then post doctoral fellowship and then I'd probably end up being a psych prof because more researchers are professors unless you work for a private company. I have been less than successful in finding a master's program in something that combines genetics and psychology because that is what I am really interested in. I guess I'll continue my search for the illusive, non-existant graduate program and talk to my professors in the meantime and see what they think.

Or I could just get my science degree and then get an education degree and be a high school science teacher. I'd enjoy that... Except then I'd probably have to take physics and calculus (shudder).

I was also thinking of getting my degree in Medical Laboratory Science... it sounds pretty cool- but I'm not sure that it is really what I want. I have the marks to get in and I do enjoy that type of lab stuff... hmmm. I hate that I am interested in so many different things and that I can't seem to decide what it is I want to do...

Or I could hang out in the buisness building or dentistry pharmacy or medical science building and pick me up a future doctor and get married and have babies... j/k

If anyone out there reading this has any advice that would be great... if not so be it. I think I will end my longest blog entry ever and get back to work as I have a quiz in microbiology tomorrow morning and I have my last biochem midterm on wednesday. Until next time...

No comments: