Monday, February 28, 2005

I was way too tired to put any sort of post together last night so I figure now is as good a time as any. Actually, I'm still kind of tired and sort of out of it so yeah...

Anyhow, on with the story. I started leg two of my coast to coast journey last Tuesday. Our flight was late leaving Calgary due to some child that was too scared to fly and therefore they had to remove their bags. I honestly didn't care because I had a four hour layover in Toronto. Yes, you saw right- 4 hours. Honestly, I don't know why I stayed in the secure part of the airport (in Terminal 3) because as I quickly found out, although terminal three is rather large, it contains very little in the way of stores/eating places. Not compared to the much smaller secure area of the Calgary airport which happens to have a decent sized food court and a pointless moving sidewalk. At least the airport had lots of those to play on... lol. All and all it was a most wonderful airport to get a lot of work done in. I have almost finished all of my reading for the term in my witchcraft class. That would be two 200 page books worth of reading. It is amazing what you can get accomplished in airports.

I think my flight leaving Toronto was late too. I forget why- something to do with the crew not being there fast enough. Anyhow... we weren't too late and made up a good half hour in lateness. I met a nice guy on the plane from Halifax who was visiting his girlfriend in Toronto. He was quite interesting and we shared a common love for Calgary. He is the first person not native to Calgary that I have met that found it easy to find his way around. He also found Edmonton confusing which I think I did too when I first moved here.

So we got into Halifax at 10:40 pm and I think we stayed up until 3:30 pm chatting. It was nice to visit. But we only got up at noon because of this. I have a theory that I kind of lived on Alberta time the whole time I was there.

The next day we made our way downtown to the Maritime Museum where I learned all about the Halifax explosion. Call me sheltered but I didn't know that in 1917 Halifax was the site of largest man made explosion before Hiroshima.This site has more info on the explosion and the damaged caused by it.

That night we had a gathering of people with Jane's friends. This was the night that I got accused of having fake ID at the liquor store. He said it looked fake because of the way the birthday is raised. I told him it was a security feature, but apparently that wasn't in the book.

So we sat around told jokes, socialized and read really bad erotica. I didn't think anything could be worse than Harlequin, but the best of 1993 Erotica managed to beat it. Apparently, 1993 wasn't a good year for erotica.

The next day we went out on the bus to York Redoubt. It was pretty cool. Very fortified and lots of cannons. It was also cool that we could take the bus out to somewhere that remote. That night we went over to Eric's house and played Settlers of Catan. I won, or at least I think I did. Only after I got people off my back at the beginning and laid low until toward the end.

Friday, we toured around the country side to see the sites. Only the sites were a little hard to see in the blizzard. We went to Peggy's Cove which looked like the picture except grey and blizardy. I have to say it was really fun seeing the sites at a time when most people don't see them. We saw a few more beaches, had some warm drinks at the bakery in a small place that wasn't peggy's cove and went back to Halifax. That night, we could have gone to a party, but he decided to just hang out at home and Jane and Craig did homework... for a bit and then we played Wizard. After a bit, just before Jane's friends came over at 2:00 am we finished off the rum I bought with my "fake" ID (Jane ate her rum in apple sauce) and then we socialized for a bit- until like 3:30 am and went to bed.

I woke everyone up at 10:30 the next day, in an effort to actually get to the farmer's market before it closed. We got there before it closed, but not much before. I bought 3 pounds of Mac apples for 2$ and some fudge. Then we took a tour of the Keith's Brewery. The tour was actually kind of cute. For a virtual tour, just click on the brewery button and take the virtual tour. Then we wandered around downtown and I found a place that sells Yerba Maté tea.

Early Sunday morning (4:55 am) I boarded the Airbus to the airport and left Halifax late at 8:00 am. It didn't matter because our plane was late coming in from Cuba so my flight to Calgary was delayed.

Got back to Edmonton last night... and now I am really really really tired. But must do homework. So... I guess I will go make dinner now:)

State: Very Tired
Song: Farewell To Nova Scotia

No comments: